The Frankenbox 3.0 is my friend Nick's old gaming rig. We decided to add some silly mods to the case and took pictures of everything.
- Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7 GHz
- Video Card: ATI Saphire HD 3650, 512 MB 725 MHz
- RAM: (2x) 1 GB Crucial PC2-5300 & (2x) 2 GB Crucial PC2-5300
- Motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM
- Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 160 GB ATA
- Secondary Hard Drive: Western Digital 80 GB ATA
- Wireless: Belkin Wireless-G PCI Card
- Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 320W PSU
Dremeling the hole for the rear case fan switch.
Dremeled a hole for the lighting button, and added it.
Nick drawing a smiley face on the cover plate.
Dremeling out the smiley face so LEDs can be inserted.
Smiley face LEDs inserted into cover plate.
The cluster of wires behind the cover. (Yes it's messy, but it works! It's called the Frankenbox for a reason!)
Stripping a wire to connect power to the smiley face.
The bottom case fan (keeps the video card cool). Yes, that's cardboard and twine.
Soldering a wire.
The finished product. Powered by a single molex connector, the 12V goes to the fan and the 5V goes to the LEDs, filtered with a resistor. The 9V clips are to allow the front plate to be detachable and swappable.
Connecting the mod together with Nick looking in the front of the case.
Installing the mod. (Broke a wire and had to do some re-soldering.)
Still installing the mod.
Testing out the computer with the new mods!